Sunday 19 April 2009

4: Trail of Dead and Earth

Hello, as promised I am here telling you about the stuff I've seen this week. First up was ...Trail of Dead at Manchester Academy 3 followed by that aftershow I was doing. The show was brilliant, the new songs really came to life live and the old stuff was as good as ever. The one complaint was that they played some stuff a bit too fast, but that was only really a problem during 'Will You Smile Again?' because the verses sounded a bit weird. Brilliant show though and a good setlist. Shame they didn't play 'Fields Of Coal' off the new album. Someone stage dived and landed on my neck, that really hurt (and still does). Jason went into the crowd for Caterwaul which was probably the best song of the night, he also broke his snare drum which turned into a bit of an episode. Here's the setlist...

Giants Causeway / Far Pavillions
Isis Unveiled
It Was There That I Saw You
Homage
Bells of Creation
Will You Smile Again?
Relative Ways
Clair de Lune
Totally Natural
Another Morning Stoner
Caterwaul
--------------
Mistakes & Regrets
Richter Scale Madness

The aftershow was messy due to lots of free drink, brilliant fun though. Jason and Conrad spun some good grooves; Michael Jackson, House of Pain and Stevie Wonder to name a few. The highlight for me was when I played Invisible Touch by Genesis though, that was the song to be beaten and it wasn't. Here's a picture...



Next up, Earth at Islington Mill. For me, this was much better than the first time I saw them (on the Hibernaculum tour). The sound was spot on, the venue is great, the crowd were good and the lighting was pleasant. I'm not sure about the setlist, it was all new style Earth, none of the early noise efforts. I can't really think how to describe an Earth gig, you have to experience it for yourself to understand it I guess. One thing is for sure, it was fantastic. Here is a photo of Dylan Carson...


There you go, thanks for reading post number 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment