Sunday 12 April 2009

1

I suppose a good place to start this blog is to recommend some albums for you to listen to. So here it goes...

The New Year - The New Year (2008, Touch & Go Records)

I had this album recommended to me by a customer whilst I was working at HMV over christmas, I'd mentioned I was already interested because it was on Touch & Go and some of the members were in Bedhead (great band, check them out). This is their 3rd album, I haven't tracked down the first 2 yet but I definitely will after hearing this. As well as bringing forward the sound developed by Bedhead, there are rather large doses of Low and The Sea & Cake thrown in. You may think this all sounds a bit depressing, but it's a really nice listen. 'Folios' is a great opener and 'The Idea Of You' is probably the best closing track on an album last year. Looking forward to seeing these in Barcelona next month!


Retribution Gospel Choir - Retribution Gospel Choir (2008, Aural Exploits)

Fantastic stoner-pop-rock featuring Steve and Alan from Low. If you're not a fan of Low don't let it put you off, this could still be well up your street. Great hooks and riffs with catchy choruses as well as some exploration into psych-rock. I find it hard to find any faults with this album, especially as a debut! Some people complain the drums are a bit busy but I think Eric does a great job on it. Steve didn't actually feature as bass player on this recording, that role was occupied by former Low bassist Matt Livingston. Highly recommended if you're into Dead Meadow, Pavement, Luna and even Journey!


I'll post some more later, I smell food burning...


No comments:

Post a Comment